In the spirit of All The Books I Can Read’s Top Ten Tuesday post from last week I’d like to share with you all, ten of my own favorite book quotes. Like I’ve explained before, I’m horrible at narrowing things down and being decisive, so this is just a list of ten of my favorites but not necessarily my top ten of all time because that would take some agonizing brainstorming and I’ll probably never click “publish” post.
- He smiled understandingly – much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in a life. It faced – or seemed to face – the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey. Precisely at that point it vanished.
– F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
- There’s nothing like deep breaths after laughing hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for all the right reasons.
We accept the love we think we deserve.
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.
– Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I’m going to stop at three with this one because basically the whole book could go right here.)
- There’s a kind of holiness to love, requited or not, and those people who don’t receive it with gratitude are arrogant beyond saving.
– Marisa de los Santos, Love Walked In
- “There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you’d better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you’ll never understand what it’s saying.”
– Sarah Dessen, Just Listen
- “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it.”
– J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
- “I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view. Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
“Summer was on the way; Jem and I awaited it with impatience. Summer was our best season: it was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the treehouse; summer was everything good to eat; it was a thousand colors in a parched landscape; but most of all, summer was Dill.”
– Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
- “I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.”
– John Green, Looking for Alaska
- “When I was twelve, a fortune teller told me that my one true love would die young and leave me all alone.. Everyone said she was a fraud, that she was just making it up.. I’d really like to know why the hell a person would make up a thing like that.”
– Tiffanie DeBartolo, God Shaped Hole
- “You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.”
– Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
- “You never know whose eyes God is watchin’ you through.”
– Ron Hall & Denver Moore, Same Kind of Different As Me
Okay, okay I cheated a little but it’sso hard!Hopefully if you haven’t read some of these books (though I highly recommend them all,) maybe a quote sparked your interest and you’ll want to check them out? What are some of your favorite book quote? Feel free to share in the comments, or let me know if you’ve done your own Top Ten post – I’d love to read them!